Mar 12, 2013

Progress, not Perfection

Poor Brandi has been dealing with a lot of sickness in her house lately, so I thought I’d take a week off from our Tuesday Link-up to give her a much needed break.  Besides, after last night’s episode of the Biggest loser, I thought it would be better to take some time today to talk about this journey a little bit.  If you don’t watch the BL, the short of it is that they showed each contestant a quick compilation of how far they’ve come in their 12 weeks on the show.  I needed to see that last night. Because, well, honestly, I had a few days last week where I really struggled.  I was hungry.  I was tired.  I was sore.  And really, I was just MAD.

Mad because weight loss just sucks sometimes.
Mad because my body just doesn’t lose weight as fast as some others do.
Mad because I want to eat an effin’ cheeseburger and not gain weight.
Mad because I’m sick of counting calories.
Mad because I’d like to sleep in instead of getting up to exercise EVERY. DAMN. DAY.
Mad because after all that, I still have flabby arms, stomach rolls and lumpy thighs.
Mad because I still have a long way to go.


It’s so easy to focus on these things, and to lose sight of the bigger picture, the bigger journey taking place.  Sometimes you just need to take a step back to see the forest through the trees. 

I used to be a size 18.
I used to be in the “Morbidly Obese” BMI category.
I used to struggle just to run a quarter mile.
I used to make excuses to skip going out with friends because I had nothing to wear that fit me right or that I felt good in.

I’m none of those things anymore.  I’m making better choices on a daily basis, not because I’m on a “diet”, but because my goal is to be as healthy as possible before getting pregnant so I can continue that lifestyle through my pregnancy and parenthood. 

There’s been a lot of hype lately about herbal cleanses and shakes to help with weight loss, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t jealous of the huge losses some people are seeing in just a weeks’ time.  But I know better; I’ve been there, done that with just about every weight loss system there is.  It’s temporary, not a permanent fix.  Even a super sticky band aid falls off eventually, and the weight will creep back on as soon as the meal replacement shakes go away (at least that’s how it’s happened for me).

I’m not perfect.  I have days where I want to give up, where I want to just stuff my face with fatty foods and sit on the couch and do nothing.  Before this journey, I would let a day like that derail me.  Not anymore.  It’s about Progress, not Perfection.  I’m moving forward, the scale is moving down, even if it is painfully slow, and I will continue this journey that I’m on.  Because I’m worth it. Because I’ve NEVER in my life been thin or had a healthy BMI.  Because I NEED to know what it feels like to not be obsessed with pulling at my shirt to hide my rolls or wearing pants in the middle of the summer to hide my thighs.

I will get there.  It might take me longer than some because I’m trying to figure out how to do this and still do the things I love (like going out to dinner and drinks with friends).  But this is not a race.  There’s no time cutoff for reaching that finish line.  Sure, we all want to get there as fast as possible, but sprinting and burning myself out before I get there will be more disappointing than just taking my time and doing it right.  I will see this thing through to the end, as hard as it may be. 
 
Strive for progress, not perfection.
Never give up.

8 comments:

  1. I feel the same way! A Bible study I'm doing right now talks about imperfect progress- which is progress with grace for yourself...because you are going to slip up. I think it really applies to this healthy journey as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your comment about how this is not a race. How there is no time limit. Soooo true! :) We need to remember these things more and do it for us and stop comparing to other peoples bodies or progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate so much to this post. It's so true, and sometimes we need a reminder about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies, I'm glad to hear its something you can all relate to too, I feel like we need a reminder sometimes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can very very much relate to this post! I am in same boat never been at a healthy bmi or weight went from one extreme of unhealthy from not eating enough to eating and not caring to now trying to figure it out the right way without the pills diets and shakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it Shelley! It's not easy, but you'll surprise yourself with how much you can accomplish! :)

      Delete
  6. i always tell those who email me/ask me questions about weight loss: weight loss is a journey, not a race. everyone is in a hurry to lose weight but they forget that the weight didn't appear overnight so they can't expect it to lose it all overnight either.

    it has taken me a good 15 months to get to where i am and it was really hard the first 6 months. what helped me most was that i never weighed myself. since i started, i've only weighed myself twice; the rest of the time i just go by inches lost.

    so keep at it! you'll get there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement!! I know I'll get there eventually, the journey is just as important!

      Delete

I love comments! Leave me a note and tell me what you think! :)

Recent Posts