Jun 26, 2013

.....(And How to Get Thin Forever) Jackie Warner Cliffnotes, Part 2

Ok, yesterday I told you about the 2 week jump start portion of the book “This is Why You’re Fat, and how to get Thin forever” by Jackie Warner (read about it here).  Today I’ll tell you about the 2nd part of the book, the 5-2 “lifestyle”.

 
You should be eating the “superfoods” mentioned in yesterday’s post every day by the end of your 14 days.

Now, you’re ready for Jackie’s 5-2 plan:
·         Eat “clean” (defined as no processed sugar by Jackie, or under 5 grams per serving) for 5 consecutive days, then allow yourself 2 treat meals per weekend, at no more than 1500 calories each.  This is the most important part, and helps you "detox" the sugar from your system for 5 days straight.  You should not have a cheat meal until you've gone 5 consecutive days without a cheat, and your cheat should not exceed 1500 calories in order to prevent going overboard on calories.  You should not combine your treat meals on the same weekend day, so space them out and have one cheat on Saturday, one cheat on Sunday.  Monday through Friday should be 100% clean.
·         Eat five times a day.
·         Always pair carbs with a protein
·         Eat your “super foods” every day (2 eggs, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 whey protein shake, 3 cups detox veggies, 2 whole fruits)
·         Each day should include:
o   4 proteins
o   3 veggies
o   2 grains
o   2 fruits
o   1 fat

·         Sample Meal Plan:
o   Breakfast:
§  Protein (IE, 2 eggs)
§  Grain (IE, 1 cup oatmeal)
§  Fruit (IE, 1 cup fresh berries)
o   Snack:
§  Protein
§  Fruit  (IE, protein shake with water and fresh fruit)
o   Lunch
§  Protein (IE, 4 oz. lean poultry or meat)
§  Vegetable (IE, 1 cup of broccoli or a baked sweet potato)
o   Snack
§  ¼ avocado or 1 cup chopped fresh veggies
o   Dinner
§  Protein (IE, 4 oz. lean poultry or meat)
§  Grain (IE, 1 cup brown rice)
§  Vegetable (IE, I cup steamed broccoli)  

In addition to this meal plan, you should take the following hormone balancing, fat burning supplements:
o   Multi-vitamin-mineral tablet (Magnesium, Zinc, B Vitamins, Niacin, Biotin, Vitamins A, D, E, and K) (1 pill daily with food)
o   Omega-3 Fatty Acids (1 to 3 grams daily with food)
o   Vitamin C (Ester-C) (500mg per day)
o   Free form Amino-Acids; complete and balanced blend of aminos, including isoleucine, leucine, and valine (the BCAAs)
o   Glutamine
o   Creatine: creatine ethyl ester HCL (not regular creatine monohydrate)
o   CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) (1 to 3 grams with breakfast, lunch, and dinner)

That’s the food part in a nutshell.  The remainder of the book focuses on fitness, where she emphasizes shorter, higher intensity training methods in lieu of long cardio sessions (IE, HIIT).  She outlines several “Power circuits”, and tells you to do 5 days of interval cardio (30 minutes a day) with 3 of those days adding a power circuit (another 25-30 minutes).  The last chapter of the book focuses on the power of positive thinking…think you’re always going to be fat? Well then you will! Turn those thoughts into positive ones, and you’ll start to see positive changes in your life.

So how does this fit into my journey?  I can tell you that while I’ve been trying to incorporate these “super foods”, I haven’t been perfect by any means.  I am having 1 protein shake daily, and I do get my fruits and veggies in.  I also eat 6 times a day (3 meals, 3 snacks) because that's what works for me.  I haven’t had a chance to batch cook a bunch of eggs, so I’m not doing that yet, and I did try oatmeal yesterday, but I am not crazy about organic, sugar free, tastes like cardboard oatmeal.  I’ll try it again with a serving of fresh fruit to see if it helps, but so far I’m not sure that’s one I can do daily. 

And on that note…I got to thinking..thinking about the super foods that I HAVE to eat 5 days a week for the rest of my life in order to do this plan, and I decided it’s all too complicated for my liking.

So I’m modifying this program to my own version…this is based on what I know works for me, and what hundreds of health and fitness experts have said in the past.  I’ll call it the “BB4B” plan ;)

o   Eat 5 to 6 times a day to keep your metabolism up and your hunger at bay
o   Eat 1 serving of protein with every meal/snack; one of these protein servings should be a whey protein shake
o   Eat at least 3 cups of veggies every day, fresh or cooked
o   Eat 2 fresh fruits daily
o   Eat 2 whole grain servings daily
o   Eat 1 healthy fat daily

Always combine 2 things from the list above, since food digests better with a buddy J
(For example, since you’re eating a protein with every meal snack, pick something else from the list to round out your meal!)

Veggies are the only thing you should double up servings in one sitting on, since double protein won’t absorb and double carbs (fruit or grains) will be stored as fat.
 
Whenever possible, eat whole, unpackaged/processed foods.  If eating packaged foods, try to stick to the 5 ingredients or less rule (I break this rule if I can recognize all of the ingredients and they are all healthy!) 

That’s it.  I’m not going to limit myself to eating certain things at certain times of the day, nor am I going to be worried about specific protein sources, other than a whey protein shake.  I'm not going to say certain things are totally off limits (though I will limit "white" products like bread, bagels, etc).  My big focus here is protein…a serving with every meal or snack. This should help me level off my macros to a 40/30/30 balance as I’ve been trying to do lately (carbs, protein, fat).

IMHO, it’s not as important if your protein comes from an egg or a non-meat source, so long as you’re getting it, right? And I’d rather make sure I’m getting my grains instead of dreading the thought of choking down cardboard oatmeal for the rest of my life.  The only exception I make to this rule is the whey protein…I look at that more as a supplement….like taking a daily viatmin, so I know that by incorporating that as a protein source I’m getting a lot more bang for my buck.

That’s my plan for now anyways…I think it’s more realistic to have a frame work rather than specific foods I NEED to eat every day…..I’ll chat more about this after my weigh-in on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave me a note and tell me what you think! :)

Recent Posts